I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [ABANDONED] I Wanna Be PHAT! ALPHA V2.5.4  (Read 24259 times)

Berry Punch

• Kitty's BFF
  • 40 proof noggererer.
    • View Profile
[ABANDONED] I Wanna Be PHAT! ALPHA V2.5.4
« on: May 15, 2010, 01:02:52 am »

It's taken me quite a while to make, but we'll see the responses.
EDIT: Yeah, it's very helpful to have NO RESPONSES. GEEBUS.

V2.5.4 IS OUT!!! If there are any bugs in the game, please tell me so that I may fix them.

EDIT: OH WAIT, I'M FIXING MORE BUGS THAN ANYONE CAN FIND. GEEBUSx2.

Progression:
  • IWBTG stage
  • VVVVVV stage
  • Trials stage

INSTALLATION:
Extract the .rar into the v2.5.4 directory.
Do not remove the .exe from the directory to where you keep your other fangames, problems will occur.

NOTE:
Saves from v2.0 will NOT WORK with v2.5.4.

UPDATES: (FROM LAST MAJOR VERSION)
A damn lot. After a year of work, I haven't done anything really notable.

Every bug/suggestion in the WIP thread has been done/fixed.
Menu screen has been changed, everything is clickable, CLICKABLE I REPEAT.
Save slots, a (shoddy) controls editor, and help menus for those confused and/or pissed off. These help menus also work as a pause function when you don't want to press P on the keyboard.
There is actually progression now instead of the "choose your own path" thing.
Cheats have been added. I'll leave you people to figure them out for now until I find a way to give out the codes with secret areas. EDIT: Cheats are now listed below, seeing as I haven't updated the game in a while.
Another secret, pretty easy to get if you read this log.
A partway finished stage, that's why this is only v2.5.4 and not v3.0.
Fixed the really bad "double jump and get stuck" bug in the VVVVVV area. EDIT: This may have broken one section of the VVVVVV stage; use the cheat "telehere" when that part comes up for now, until I decide to fix that. Probably never at this rate.
Fixed placement errors caused by fixing above bug in the Ascent area. EDIT: See above edit.
Fixed the IWBTG boss and added one attack. EDIT: Boss may appear to be buggy. He isn't, you just suck.
Completely fixed the fatal bug that only allowed you to play the IWBTG stage.

[WIP PARTS/FIXES]
  • Fixing VVVVVV boss and/or adding attacks to make him more difficult (seriously my ass could beat these bosses atm).
  • Making a new stage.
  • Fixing more bugs or areas where you can savefuck. (most fixed, if you find any more please tell me)
  • Another area means another secret item somewhere.
  • Working on showing the player a cheat code when they get an achievement. EDIT: Fuck that, cheat codes listed below.
  • Completely overhauling the IWBTG stage graphics and sprites. They look like shit.
  • Adding specific musiks to the IWBTG boss (after graphical overhaul)
  • Going to update the controls editor to not use dialog boxes.

BUGFIXES/CHANGES IN NEXT RELEASE:
Fixed some strange inability to double jump after double jumping and flipping gravity.
Special action key can now be selected with the controls editor as well.
The difficulty of the game now starts at a very small difficulty and works its way slowly to be the regular difficulty.
Superfluous traps have been removed. (This includes spikes that would never be able kill you and triggers that were ineffective.)

CHEAT CODE LIST:
Press Ctrl + L to access the cheat code entry box. Type in one of the following to activate a command (case sensitive):
telehere (teleports you to the location of your mouse)
chucknorris (invulnerability on)
immapussy (invulnerability off)
teleportw/coords (teleport with x and y coordinate selection [don't use this often unless you know the room layout])
KO (kills bosses)
TKO (gets bosses down to 1 hp [used for testing certain boss death mechanics; use KO instead)
savegame (saves your game and achievements, regardless of location [don't use this when you die, you'll get stuck at the room origin (0,0)])
irbjesus (gives you all the achievements and saves them to the currently selected game slot)
VVVtele (teleports you to the VVVVVV stage)
IWBtele (teleports you to the IWBTG stage)
TRIALStele (teleports you to the TRIALS stage; INCOMPLETE)

Anything else will kill you once you close the dialog box.

EDIT: I've essentially realized that nobody gives a shit anymore. I'll post things anyways because I can and choose to, considering this fangame is actually DECENT, if not GOOD. GEEBUSx3.

FINAL EDIT: So by this point I've probably forgotten everything that I wanted to do with the game and how to code in GameMaker, so I'm leaving it behind. Also I can't work on it because the game file itself is extremely old and probably wouldn't agree with me very well. So instead, I'll leave you all the level designs and stuff that I drew out for the game before those levels were made. Here is the album of all the level designs and planning stuff.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:24:39 am by Berry Punch »
Download this [ABANDONED] shit that nobody cares about: I wanna be PHAT!

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
Re: i wanna be PHAT!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:20:52 am »

I'm not going to stop you from making your fangame, but I am going to get mad.

Why are you bothering to release a demo / alpha / beta? No one wants to play an incomplete game. When you release a really short and incomplete fangame I get the feeling that you're very impatient since you're letting people know and play the mere skeleton of a game even before the game is complete. But the thing is, no one on this website really cares about the fangame a newbie just made. Observe the number of fangames that have already been made. Whether your fangame is good or not, it's not going to stand out. So, I encourage you to release a complete version of your fangame so at least you have some dignity of making a game through to the very end.

Berry Punch

• Kitty's BFF
  • 40 proof noggererer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:23:19 am »

well, i just wanted to see how people like the first part of the game... it's only 1/6th of the way done, but i have ideas for the rest of the stages, of which i will release after some time.
sorry, but this is really just a test, and my first true game with game maker... so yeah. sorry if i made you mad.

Neko Desu

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 01:34:33 am »

Well, the thing is, 90% of the fangames on this site also suck, and new games - especially if they are only in beta / alpha form - are ignored due to this stereotype. That's why I'm recommending you to release a complete version of your game.

zapuppy

• Zapuppy
  • AND TOMORROW SPRING IS HERE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 06:52:35 am »

Well, the thing is, 90% of the fangames on this site also suck, and new games - especially if they are only in beta / alpha form - are ignored due to this stereotype. That's why I'm recommending you to release a complete version of your game.
Sturgeon's Law Is The Best Rule To Describe Fangames

Storyyeller

• The Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 08:14:31 am »

On the other hand, all fangames had to start somewhere.

Sure, it is possible to make the entire thing yourself with no interaction with others, and only release it when finished, but that has several problems.
It takes forever, during which you are likely to get discouraged and quit due to no tangible reward towards your current work.
It will probably be buggy, because no matter how much you test something, other people will try things you never thought of.

In my opinion, the best option is to release a series of successively improved betas. There is less work required for each step. You will (hopefully) get encouragement from the people playing. You'll discover bugs and bad ideas early on, leading to a much better game. Once it is good enough, there may people people interested in helping you finish the game.

My first public version of Pickory was pretty bad, but it is now an awesome game, thanks mainly to all the feedback I've gotten.

Icypizza

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 01:29:38 pm »

alright I beat the top path, is that it? cuz I don't see any ways to get pass the mario tube or the down path.

For a newb, this game is actually pretty good, the shooting cherries were annoying but fun at the same time. Although the boss is pretty boring and easy, I literally beat it in 2 tries. This game is one of the few that I want to beat it again and again. Nice work.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 01:37:00 pm by Icypizza »

Berry Punch

• Kitty's BFF
  • 40 proof noggererer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 02:39:23 pm »

yeah, only the IWBTG path is finished atm, and i'll probably update the boss to make it harder. plus, difficulty modes do make a difference. in nub mode, the giant spike goes slower than in hard or impossible. the  boss has 75 hp in nub mode and 100 in other modes.

but yeah, sorry if i'm pissing people off, this was just a test really to make a fangame for my friends, and now it's become a full on project.

the only thing that you might've not noticed is that when you jump through the teleporter at the end, it saves a value so that if you killed the boss there will be an achievement room.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:40:56 pm by Zolamann »

Icypizza

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 03:39:13 pm »

difficulty modes do make a difference. in nub mode, the giant spike goes slower than in hard or impossible. the  boss has 75 hp in nub mode and 100 in other modes.
There's not much difference to it, when I played it on Normal I didn't even noticed the differences..... well except it took longer for me to beat the boss.

If you don't wanna piss people off, release betas instead of alphas, which is pretty much the same thing except it's finished. Some people release alphas every time they add one or two new screens, which is the worst thing you can do.

Berry Punch

• Kitty's BFF
  • 40 proof noggererer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 05:29:34 pm »

yeah, i'll probably release the next version when i complete the next two stages.

theguystuckinatree

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 09:08:25 pm »

Meh, was pretty fun for me, but after the first portal on the upper path squeezing through those spikes is too dang annoying.

Berry Punch

• Kitty's BFF
  • 40 proof noggererer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 10:16:54 pm »

Meh, was pretty fun for me, but after the first portal on the upper path squeezing through those spikes is too dang annoying.

do you mean the part where apples fly at you? or the part getting TO the IWBTG stage?

Stinkycheeseone890

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 02:22:12 pm »

I see QUITE a future for this game.I loved the boss.  Finally! I get to kill some spikes!  ;D
ಠ________ಠ

theguystuckinatree

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 02:39:23 pm »

I was referring to the area with the large land coumns and a small of made of spikes you had to jump through, but I got better at that area, so don't worry. I already had a problem with it in the first few minutes.

Berry Punch

• Kitty's BFF
  • 40 proof noggererer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 06:16:57 pm »

that shouldn't have been the hardest part lol, the boss is probably the most fun part.

just that game maker is screwing up on me now... anyways, i'll update the boss to be tougher, and the next part is already in development.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:55:46 pm by Zolamann »
Pages: [1] 2 3