I Wanna Be The Forums!
September 21, 2014, 12:00:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Fangame: The Game  (Read 38262 times)
JRocker873

The Guy and The Fangame

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2011, 07:11:26 pm »

I like awesome 16-bit redesign 
vertigoelectric

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2011, 11:00:41 am »

Just a quick question: Have you discontinued this? I was pretty interested in Fangame for awhile. It had some potential.
Sorry it's been so long since I've been around.  I sorta 'unofficially discontinued' development on the game... it was somewhat becoming a source of stress in my life because there seemed to be so much work involved in it... although I would like to get back to work on it eventually.

I did start working on the Amper Sands boss, though... even though I didn't do a whole lot there.

Perhaps I should take a poll to see who would like me to keep working on it.

null

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2011, 01:57:34 pm »

Yes please.

Quote from: Yb
That was fucking obnoxious
Darkwraith Axl

Returning with newfound humanity.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:16 pm »

Forget the poll! Work on it Cheesy

> This community: Elitists pieces of shit.
> That community: Retards without a lick of taste.
Pick your poison.
Wolsk

Wolsky McKitty :3

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: September 28, 2011, 02:46:00 am »

Vertigo, it is without a doubt one of the best IWBTG-esque games on these whole forums, and the only reason I haven't continued my playthrough is because is rather play a full version.  Please continue development for this game, and I'll offer a completed playthrough of mine as a bit of incentive. <3

I'm about as good at IWBTG as I am at Touhou. Which is to say, not very.
Darkwraith Axl

Returning with newfound humanity.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: September 28, 2011, 03:10:52 am »

Vertigo, it is without a doubt one of the best IWBTG-esque games on these whole forums, and the only reason I haven't continued my playthrough is because is rather play a full version.  Please continue development for this game, and I'll offer a completed playthrough of mine as a bit of incentive. <3

Second this. I will do another one too, in my mother language (spanish), but I will do it. I loved your game. A LOT.

> This community: Elitists pieces of shit.
> That community: Retards without a lick of taste.
Pick your poison.
Kyubey

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: September 28, 2011, 05:38:30 am »

I too promise a full run of this game if you ever finish it. It's really a great fangame

http://www.youtube.com/user/themorphingfennecfox
Come by if you wanna see me suffer playing fangames!
vertigoelectric

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: September 28, 2011, 10:06:58 am »

Well it'll probably be a long time before I finish.

Also if you do a playthrough in Spanish, I won't watch it anyway, but thanks.

Indigo Blue

That fucking chilean dude

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2011, 12:22:06 pm »

i dont know if you remember me...but i still have to beat your game on stream xd, im just waiting for full version...also...i was on the vertigoFX (or something like that) forums..and oh boy, the next boss looks so fricking epic Grin

"im going to write this here so i dont have to say it always:
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH"
vertigoelectric

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: September 28, 2011, 01:04:11 pm »

i dont know if you remember me...but i still have to beat your game on stream xd, im just waiting for full version...also...i was on the vertigoFX (or something like that) forums..and oh boy, the next boss looks so fricking epic Grin

Of course I remember you, Indigo.

I guess I have a lot of people waiting for a full version.  Well, just keep in mind that I might NEVER actually finish it, so...

Another option would be to just make it a lot shorter than I originally planned.  Make the Amper Sands boss, then add a level or two so players can use the gravity orb, and then a final boss.

We'll see.  Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.  I really do need it.

Goshu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: September 28, 2011, 01:15:52 pm »

When I starting game,

IT STOPS!!

COMPUTER STOPS 3 Times

I reboot My Computer 3 Times

Valkama
Anonly Asia O_O
The Guy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: September 28, 2011, 04:34:51 pm »

because there seemed to be so much work involved in it
Welcome to the art of video game design. If you can't handle the stress then stop making the game.

Wolsk

Wolsky McKitty :3

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: September 28, 2011, 07:39:58 pm »

Welcome to the art of video game design. If you can't handle the stress then stop making the game.
There's no need to be a dick...
He isn't trying to be a professional game maker.
This game was just something he did out of boredom.

I'm about as good at IWBTG as I am at Touhou. Which is to say, not very.
Valkama
Anonly Asia O_O
The Guy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: September 28, 2011, 07:58:30 pm »

There's no need to be a dick...
He isn't trying to be a professional game maker.
This game was just something he did out of boredom.
He asked if we thought he should continue or not and I gave him my response. You don't have the be a professional to get stressed out. Making a game will always cause you stress. Learning to deal with makes you one step closer to becoming a better game designer.

vertigoelectric

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: December 05, 2011, 03:17:19 am »

Well, guys, I think I've decided to come back.

Just to clear up something said within the last few posts, I didn't start making Fangame out of boredom.  I did it because I was a HUGE fan of IWBTG and I wanted to create something similar... but better.  Fangame IS my first indie game project and being such, it's been a huge learning process, both on a mental and psychological level.

I had stopped production at a very crucial point in development... just when doors of opportunity were opening up for me in terms of design ideas.  I think I got pretty discouraged because the most recent level I added, Cloud 9.1, was so spontaneous and unplanned and messy, I didn't think I could really recover from it.  I should have planned it out better, but I didn't, and I put so much hard work into programming that level, I couldn't just scrap it.

There was also the looming fact that the Amper Sands level still had no boss.  These and a few other related factors just became too much on my plate.... but y'know what i say?

WHATEVER!

I'll just get back to work.  I'll just start working on the next screens/levels and just move forward at a casual pace.  I've spent too much time worrying about criticisms and meeting expectations that I'd forgotten the most important things:  the fun and reward of creating a video game.  I'm too much of a perfectionist, and if I've got 1 person out of 99 saying bad things about my work, I get stressed and discouraged and try to figure out a way to change their mind.  Why?  It's not worth it.  Fangame the Game is arguably one of the coolest IWBTG type games out there and I need to remember that.

So, we're getting the Fangame Forums active again (hopefully), and I'll be rebuilding a beta testing team once again.  I've still got to reinstall MMF2 and get back into the production groove.  Shouldn't be too much trouble, I hope.  If any of you want to help out in some way, come to the Fangame Forums and contact me.  I believe I have a Beta Team application there but I might change it so don't waste your time filling it out just yet, in case you were going to do that.  Just PM me there and we'll work it out.

Just a few more thoughts.  I've read some pretty rough criticisms about Fangame The Game.  I just want to reiterate that since it's my first 'real' video game ever, it understandably has some very faulty foundations.  However, as I've learned more and more along the way, I have revised, rebuilt, and redefined the game several times over.  It eventually reached a point in which enough of the game has been developed that going back and trying to revise things more just wasn't worth it.  Instead, I'd like to continue moving forward with it and just focus on possibly giving the game the finish it deserves, and then taking all of the acquired design knowledge and putting it toward a new game later.

Also, I wanted to clear up a few things:

- Fangame's engine is completely custom, made by me, over the course of countless hours/days.
- A lot of the traps/obstacles/puzzles in Fangame were original ideas from my own mind, even if they're not original in the whole world of gaming.  I thought of a lot of them myself without "copying" other people.  I'm sad to say that some of my ideas I was so excited to add to the game, ideas that I hadn't seen in other fangames at the time, were later seen in other games before I got around to adding them.  This predicament means that I would be seen as copying.  I'm just not as fast as other people, I suppose.  Some game elements have been programmed into the game a long, long time ago, but development didn't reach a point where they could be used yet.  One example of this is the gravity panel system, which I had programmed into the game almost from the very beginning.  However, you don't even see this in action until the very, very end of the most recent release, and then I stopped before really designing any levels that really showed them off at all.

I guess that's it for now.  Sooooooo many other fangames have been created/started since I started working on Fangame The Game.  Development Hell is an understatement for sure.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
  Print  

Jump to: