I Wanna Be The Forums!
October 24, 2014, 06:11:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril - an IWBTG-inspired game for the NES - demo & info  (Read 38192 times)
Sivak

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2009, 06:18:15 pm »

Hey all.  I figured I'd come on here to talk about this.  I've been making my own game for the NES, and it has come along pretty nicely.  Yes, it plays on the real NES.

The title of my game is "Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril".  May sound cheesy, but that was the best title I could come up with and I'm not changing it.

It's inspired from IWBTG, but also several other games.  I'm hoping to be all done with it in the near future.

Here's the demo rom:
http://www.nintendoage.com/media/_usermedia/attachments/BK%2Ddemo1%2Ezip

Also, if you want to see videos from the other areas of the game, I have some on a youtube playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=731F9892A404BC46

Have fun.  Don't die.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:21:52 am by Sivak » Logged
vertigoelectric

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 03:19:02 am »

Wow.  I saw a couple of the videos, and I gotta say, it's simply amazing.  I'm working super hard on my game and it's nothing like yours.  sheesh!

Very well done, dude.

Deliciousfruit233

The Kid must die...

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:31:00 am »

Nice game.  It actually runs perfectly on my emulator, which says a lot for games not made by Nintendo.  This game kinda reminds me of Megaman.  Only one problem: This runs in an emulator, which means SAVE STATES!!!  People will be using them all the time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:21:28 pm by Deliciousfruit233 » Logged

I am every IWBTG player's worst nightmare....
Ponchichi

Pon! Pon! Pon!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 08:39:54 am »

So? There will also be people that won't play it with Save States.

And as Proton Jon taught us with Kaizo Special 2, a bad save state can fuck up the whole thing.

Just a friendly reminder - the Play By Post adventures that I run? Yes, anybody/everybody can give input. It's not "Specific Person's Quest" - if I wanted to do that, I'd do it by PM or Skype.
vertigoelectric

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:02:50 pm »

Y'know, yesterday someone was testing out my game for me, and got me all concerned because he was using Cheat Engine to change his coordinates and see screens he wasnt' supposed to see yet.  This kinda irritated me, and I thought "man, how am I going to avoid that?"

The simple answer is, "I'm not".  There will always be some way to play any game a way it's not supposed to be played... and y'know... those people just won't get the most out of the games.

Komaku

Anime Freak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 12:40:31 pm »

hackers ruine games the wont get any fun out of games

As Long As You Have Dreams U Will Have Hopes
Rad
The Guy

Radical Dood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 01:39:51 pm »

that actually looks really sweet.

Ill try it later.

"I want Rad's dick."
Fidel CashFlow
Warrant Officer

I'm God.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 04:10:45 pm »

Yes, it plays on the real NES.
i feel incredibly stupid saying this... but, may i ask how?

EDIT: and on that flower boss fight, he only looked like he was taking damage every other shot or so, is that just youtube lagging on me or does he not take damage like that?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:18:35 pm by Nolan » Logged

Despy just meatspun us. I. Have. No. Words.
vertigoelectric

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 04:24:04 pm »

I, too, would like to know how this is played on an actual NES console... do you somehow make a cartridge for it?

Sivak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 04:57:09 pm »

Yes, it plays on the real NES.
i feel incredibly stupid saying this... but, may i ask how?

EDIT: and on that flower boss fight, he only looked like he was taking damage every other shot or so, is that just youtube lagging on me or does he not take damage like that?

Regarding the damage, the flashing is only shown each frame and youtube divides the frames, so that's why it's not always seen.  But it IS taking damage all the time.

As for the real NES...  I'm writing the program in 6502 assembly code, which is the language the console understands.  It was a standard for a few other systems such as the Atari 2600, the Commodore, Apple II, etc...  Each system just used some slight variants of it.

When it's all done, I will have a real cartridge for it.
Fidel CashFlow
Warrant Officer

I'm God.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 06:53:31 pm »

plan on making multiples?, I'd gladly buy it!.

Despy just meatspun us. I. Have. No. Words.
Sivak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 09:22:11 pm »

plan on making multiples?, I'd gladly buy it!.

Yes, of course.  Sorry I wasn't clear.  Anyone can obtain a real cart.  They will be at retrousb.com.

Right now I'm just hammering out the little things.  Hoping to be done before August is out.
Deliciousfruit233

The Kid must die...

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 01:30:48 am »

Oh, and one more thing:  How in the world do you make legal NES games not made by a company?  Especially selling them.  Wouldn't Nintendo be mad at you for using their products to make money?

I am every IWBTG player's worst nightmare....
Sivak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 11:21:15 am »

Oh, and one more thing:  How in the world do you make legal NES games not made by a company?  Especially selling them.  Wouldn't Nintendo be mad at you for using their products to make money?

The only part in the NES cartridges that is actually copyrightable is their lockout chip.  The guy who makes the carts does not use a 100% duplicate of this chip, but something emulating what it does.

Everything else is standard computer parts.  The EPROMs, the circuit board.  Writing a program in 6502 assembler code is by no means illegal either (just done infrequently in this day and age!)

I also could not see a desire to even try going after a game on a 15 year old system.  Especially given the first paragraph I wrote.
YuPony
Totally Banned Forever Okay

/Facepalm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 03:58:58 pm »

Kickass for a selfmade rom, gonna play it on my wii [Got an NES emulator =3]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: