I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: I Wanna Be the Shamalamadingdong - Beta v.1  (Read 16972 times)

shitty name fixed

• The Jooger, in case you didn't realize
    • View Profile
I Wanna Be the Shamalamadingdong - Beta v.1
« on: October 04, 2013, 04:33:58 pm »

-
Since there's a fuckton of updates in this version, I decided to make it a new version entirely. I've also been versioning the game wrong this entire time. From here on out, I'll be doing it correctly.

The BIGGEST updates here are:
-Made Kraid's movement more erratic
-Added a "Room of Divine Transportation"
-Got rid of an entire room of invisible blocks in the green planet area by making it less empty. There's actually some level design now
-Made that bullshit non-solid block in the Metroid area easier to spot
-Made the meteors easier and less-frequent

There are a lot more updates too. You can read them in the Updates.txt file.
-

Hello there, people of IWBTF. I present to you: "I Wanna Be The Shamalamadingdong."

Don't worry, this game doesn't have any delicious fruit, floating spikes, or IWBTG megaman-area tiles. I tried to make this game enjoyable.
The game currently has 1 complete (Meaning you can play through all of it) path, 3 bosses, and 2 secret items.

There ARE references to other games. (I won't spoil them for you.)

[Updated screenshots are coming]

KNOWN BUGS:
-Kraid can sometimes move off the screen during battle, leaving you stuck in limbo until you reset.

It uses external music loading, but hopefully it won't make your computer lag out (It shouldn't.)

Game made using a modified version of Tijit's old engine (Which I got off of the Gamemaker website. I modified it to be able to handle multiple save files. Sorry, I don't like other engines.) Anything not originally in the engine I added myself.

Current Version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?k8207lqm6zijom3

Old Versions:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 04:00:42 pm by Sofa King Awesome »
When will it be my time?

pieceofcheese87

• ok
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanna Be the Shamalamadingdong - Pre-alpha v 0.01
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:17:23 pm »

alright. i played your game up to the invisible block shenanigans.
not impressed. the spriting is a bit mediocre and there are several flaws.

-I die to screen transitions.
this is never a good idea, whether intentional or not... i don't like it when you die because you don't know what's on the next screen. it's unfair to the player because you're basically guaranteed to die there.

-The music restarts.
not sure if you know how to fix this, but you can ask around for help. I use the SuperSound game maker extension for the music in my game.

-Invisible blocks.
These things are never... NEVER a good idea... unless you give hints to their location. i hate when game makers do this, it's a completely unfun and uncreative idea. plsplsplspls change this.

-Default tileset.
An easy fix, use different tilesets please. i've seen enough of the default tiles already.

-RNG on the meteors.
When i entered the screen a meteor killed me before i could save me game. Also when you're at the save point at the top sometimes a meteor can come down and kill you that's impossible to dodge
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:18:54 pm by ThatGuyNobodyKnows »
I like to fart in people's faces when they're eating a gourmet dessert.

shitty name fixed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:57:23 pm »

alright. i played your game up to the invisible block shenanigans.
not impressed. the spriting is a bit mediocre and there are several flaws.

-I die to screen transitions.
this is never a good idea, whether intentional or not... i don't like it when you die because you don't know what's on the next screen. it's unfair to the player because you're basically guaranteed to die there.

-The music restarts.
not sure if you know how to fix this, but you can ask around for help. I use the SuperSound game maker extension for the music in my game.

-Invisible blocks.
These things are never... NEVER a good idea... unless you give hints to their location. i hate when game makers do this, it's a completely unfun and uncreative idea. plsplsplspls change this.

-Default tileset.
An easy fix, use different tilesets please. i've seen enough of the default tiles already.

-RNG on the meteors.
When i entered the screen a meteor killed me before i could save me game. Also when you're at the save point at the top sometimes a meteor can come down and kill you that's impossible to dodge
Thank you for playing. I was wondering about the meteors. I'll make it so that they can't spawn when the player's y-axis is too close to the top. That should help.

There aren't any more invisible blocks after that segment. How would you reccomend me making them easier?

Also, I wouldn't mind being able to have the music not restart, but I think I'd have to completely re-code the engine in order to do that.

One more thing. The default tileset in the first room is just a filler tileset for now.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:02:41 pm by therapist »
When will it be my time?

Astfgl

• Long time lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 04:46:40 am »

So played it until the boos (did not beat it). I second everything ThaGuyNobodyKnows said.

If you want to know how you make invisble blocks tolerable, play his game a bit, you'll see how he handled it. (I savescummed past the invisible blocks, just so you know.)
I did not get the city area, it's weird and the collision are not obvious (some buildings you pass through, some are there, plus there are yet more invisible blocks...)
The screen after that (going up) seems to have no purpose (and the gigantic spike in the middle does not prevent you from saving).
The screen after was well done (if a bit ugly), but you need to put some visible boundaries instead of just randomly stopping us with no sprite blocks (especially since the blood stops on them).

The boss is okay i guess.

Now for some advice:
Use depth to hide the spikes inside the wall, right now it looks ugly:

For the music: i'm guessing you use i wanna be the engine, the same version i did with my game, here is how you do it:
in the play music object code you just put
Code: [Select]
if (sound_isplaying(yourmusic)=false){sound_loop(yourmusic)} instead of sound_loop(yourmusic), that sould do the trick. But, i don't know if it will work with external music loading, never used it. You might have to change that to the command you use to play music with your music loading system.
Note: this will cause the gameover music to play on top of the area music on dying. Just like in my game if you want to see what it does.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:48:37 am by Astfgl »

pieceofcheese87

• ok
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 10:02:50 am »

if (sound_isplaying(yourmusic)=false){sound_loop(yourmusic)}

an easier alternative:
if !sound_isplaying(yourmusic){sound_loop(yourmusic)}
I like to fart in people's faces when they're eating a gourmet dessert.

shitty name fixed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 10:11:22 am »

I did not get the city area, it's weird and the collision are not obvious (some buildings you pass through, some are there, plus there are yet more invisible blocks...)
That's supposed to be a maze. If I get rid some of the invisible blocks in the previous room, then will the ones in the city area be okay? (I feel they're tolerable in that area.)
The screen after that (going up) seems to have no purpose (and the gigantic spike in the middle does not prevent you from saving).
That's supposed to be a transition room. That spike does look retarded, I'll get rid of it.
The screen after was well done (if a bit ugly), but you need to put some visible boundaries instead of just randomly stopping us with no sprite blocks (especially since the blood stops on them).
If you don't know, that room's a reference to

Swordquest Earth for Atari 2600

Use depth to hide the spikes inside the wall, right now it looks ugly:

Alright, will do. Or better yet, I'll make a smaller spike sprite.
For the music: i'm guessing you use i wanna be the engine, the same version i did with my game, here is how you do it:
in the play music object code you just put
if (sound_isplaying(yourmusic)=false){sound_loop(yourmusic)} instead of sound_loop(yourmusic), that sould do the trick. But, i don't know if it will work with external music loading, never used it. You might have to change that to the command you use to play music with your music loading system.
Note: this will cause the gameover music to play on top of the area music on dying. Just like in my game if you want to see what it does.
I'm considering scrapping internal music loading altogether and just using supersound to load ogg's. (If that doesn't cause even MORE strain on the computer.)

I'm sorry, I don't exactly understand. What does your code do? >_>
When will it be my time?

infern0man1

• Unrevoked
  • It's been revoked.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 10:42:55 am »

if a sound is already playing, then it keeps playing, although you need to edit several things in order to make it function that way. since your using tijits engine, i have no idea what you do to make that so, since i use Yuuutu and nekoron editions (though im thinking about using erunyatan soon)

shitty name fixed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 10:51:27 am »

I don't think this will be possible with Tijit's engine, since it restarts the game every time you die. :(
The only way I'd be able to do this with Tijit's engine is to completely gut it and reprogram it, that or find a new engine. But then I'd have to start the game from scratch, and learn a new engine. Unless there's a way to save where the position of a song is. Maybe this is possible in Supersound.
When will it be my time?

Astfgl

• Long time lurker
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanna Be the Shamalamadingdong - Pre-alpha v 0.001
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 11:51:33 am »

I am using Tijit's engine (i wanna be the engine v2), and what i showed you is the only thing i did and it works to prevent the musc from restarting each time the game loads.
 And also to stop the death music from playing when you press R,i put this in the R press event of world object.
if (sound_isplaying(DeathPlayer)){sound_stop(DeathPlayer)}
Also i guess then the room is alright, sorry for not getting the reference.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:59:56 am by Astfgl »

shitty name fixed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 12:29:06 pm »

Okay, your method does work for normal sounds (Thanks). However, it doesn't seem to work for externally loaded sounds (I can't figure out why, though.) I'll look into Supersound to see if it allows to load sounds externally, and have them not restart.

Also, I've taken the other things into account. I've cleaned up some of the things mentioned. (Fixed the depth of those spikes, removed that giant spike, and made the meteors more fair.)

I'll post a new update soon.

Also, this version is actually .001, in the game it says .01
When will it be my time?

LOLGAMMER

• aka lolgamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 06:02:58 am »

Umm do you planning to update this?

shitty name fixed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 07:16:02 am »

Umm do you planning to update this?
I'm working on .003 right now. I've fixed some things like making the invisible blocks easier to find, and just tidying the game up a bit. I'm working on a new area. Once it's done, I'll release the new version.

Unfortunately, the music still restarts when you hit R. Unless you guys want me to just get rid of External music Loading (which wouldn't make the game that much larger than it already is), we may just have to deal with it.

Also, I got tons of ideas, so hopefully the game won't get boring.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:55:09 am by therapist »
When will it be my time?

shitty name fixed

• View Profile
Re: I Wanna Be the Shamalamadingdong - ALpha v.011
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 08:49:53 pm »

When will it be my time?

LOLGAMMER

• aka lolgamer
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanna Be the Shamalamadingdong - Alpha v.011
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 09:51:49 am »

Good fangame.(Better than the shitty fangames like only includes spike triggerz and fruits)
BTW what is shamalamadingdong?

But i still dont get what the hell im supposssed to do here
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:14:12 am by LoLGamer »

shitty name fixed

• View Profile
Re: I Wanna Be the Shamalamadingdong - Alpha v.011
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 03:03:58 pm »

Good fangame.(Better than the shitty fangames like only includes spike triggerz and fruits)
BTW what is shamalamadingdong?
It's a "Jargon word"
But i still dont get what the hell im supposssed to do here

The city's like a maze.
When will it be my time?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5