I Wanna Be The Forums!

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chat button has been eaten. Click here to join in the idling fun!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: I Wanna Last Forever - Final version  (Read 17090 times)

Reply Code: Alpha

• View Profile
    • YouTube
I Wanna Last Forever - Final version
« on: February 25, 2012, 12:26:51 pm »

Former OP:
Since people are posting shitty games everyday or topics that don't even make sense and I didn't find a rule that says you're not allowed to post a very early demo version of the game you are currently programming, I figured it would be a good idea to let you guys see what I've done so far.

(If you are not interested in background information of the programming process of this game just stop reading here, go download the file and then you may rant about how boring and difficult my game is.)

First of all I'd like to make something clear: I like games many of you would consider as shitty or plain boring. Games like I Wanna Be The Eden or I Wanna Be The Mechanical and all that other stuff that never even surfaces on the forums i.e. japanese fangames that mostly consist of intricate jumps, even more intricate jumps and good old boring IWBTG-sprite sheets.
As much as I like those games I've came to realize that it's not a very good idea to simply copypaste the original IWBTG-sprites in the way they are. And, because I am downloading up to ten fangames a day just to see how they are making the same mistake over and over again I decided to start programming a game by myself, a game I like.

After two projects I did not like, I finally improved with programming and my third project "I Wanna Last Forever" came out to be exactly that type of game I like (as far as I progressed in making that game). It's style is very minimalistic, there are hardly any sprites that are not taken from the original IWBTG-sprite sheet (as I mentioned above I don't like simply copypasting the sprites; what I did was I inverting the colours and this came out to look pretty damn awesome). What I ensured was that there is no inconistence in the games level structure and style. I testplayed every single section of the game at least fifty times to make sure it was possible and enjoyable. The music I added is supposed to be relaxing and in contradiction to the games mere challenging nature.

As you may understand I mostly play those games for the challenge and to be honest I didn't even like the original IWBTG because to me there was just to much going on on the screen. I don't like game references, I find them boring. You can change a hazards sprite to mario, but even when you did that it is just another sprite and doesn't change anything about the games level structure. Sure I can see that people enjoy this nostalgia feeling and I'm not saying fangames with many game refernces are bad, I'm just trying to explain why my game is a rather unusual one and I want you to understand that I did not make it the way it is, because I am a lazy person. (I sure am not; duplicating triggers and placing objects, thinking of good ideas to balance out the difficulty and testplaying takes a lot of time anyway and everyone who ever tried to make a fangame will understand what I'm saying here.)

The thing is I am very interested in your reaction to my fangame. So please tell me if it is too difficult to you or too easy. Also I'd like to know if you're okay with the minimalistic style or if you'd prefer some more references. What I don't want you to tell me is shit like "your game sucks" or "this jump is impossible" without backing up your insults with some good arguments.

That's basically everything I have to say right now. As you may expect the demo has some flaws. I did not know how to make a proper save selection screen, so it is just a plain sheet from the engine I'm using (it's a japanese engine).

IMPORTANT: I did not yet add the difficulties names, so in the difficulty selection screen on the right side there is medium. Above medium there is hard. Left from hard there is very hard. Left from medium there is LoadGame. On the top of the selection screen there is impossible; you can't reach it because I made reaching impossible impossible...
(You won't consider playing on impossible anyway.)

Have fun or not.

Some background information about the final product
So, the game is basically finished i.e. it is finished. Yet again I'm going to write a shitload of stuff that probably nobody will read anyway; but here it comes.

Since you all know about the game's purpose I won't go into detail with that, again. You can read it in the former OP if you care and didn't read it yet. If you don't care... wait, why do I even mention that? So, yeah, the game is basically the same, the stages after the first boss are maybe a bit harder, but it's not unacceptable to me.

The major difference to other fangames is - difficulty and "atrocious level design" aside - that it has become a rather short game. And this has several reasons.

First of all I just don't know if I'm going to have the time to hold on to the quality I want my game to have, because I'm very busy with school lately; hell, I don't even know where my life is going right now. Also the sketches I made in class planning the next stages really don't fit in the concept I started with this game. I just can't make an entire long fangame in this black and white color style. It sure looks good as long as the game lasts, but I don't want it to last forever (pun intended). (There are other reasons such as the fact that the sound files eat so much storage and make the file very big, but that's something not even my cat could care less about. By now you've read it anyway.)

Also I figured, and this will be more interesting to you, that I am going to release the game in several parts, which gives me more time for planning, doesn't produce too big files and makes it possible to adopt different color styles in different games. Yeah, I know it's kind of a cheap move, something a big company does to make more money. But I don't make money here; why don't I make money? I'm going to sell little eyeball scupltures depicting the first boss in my fangame store...

Also, personally I hate all those long fangames with seven bosses and hundreds of screens, mostly because I lose interest very fast. There are tons of fangames I really liked, but just because they were too long I didn't finish them. Also I think it's good to have a game you can complete in an hour or two; to me, and that is especially with IWBTG-fangames, extended length can make a game pointless. With my game, you can play through IWLF (1) and if you don't like it, you still completed it and then you don't have to play the sequel.

So here's the final version of IWLF, you may call it part 1 or act 1 (if you want it to sound more dramatic). All stages the demo contained only have minor changes; mostly I fixed some save spots that could make you die forever and some shortcuts you could use were deleted (thanks to fatalbrain1000 from YT). The rest is just as it is; if you didn't like the demo, you'll probably hate the final version. Everyone who hasn't played it yet, give it a shot, it's one of the best fangames ever made, yet rarely anyone is able to understand this. (I am totally serious about that, totally... come to think of it, maybe a bit)

EDIT3:
Final version.
http://www.mediafire.com/?h0870b2onv48bi4

EDIT2:
New version. First boss implemented. If you only want to see the boss, there's an invisible warp before the first save spot on medium. You have to jump right instead of going up.
http://www.mediafire.com/?03dmtifijqf753t

EDIT: First screenshot is the beginning of the game. Second one is the beginning of the second stage.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:07:04 pm by Reply Code: Alpha »
I've rearranged the reply code.
Your planet will be spared.
I cannot be certain of my own calculations anymore.

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanna Last Forever - Early Demo
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 01:28:10 pm »

It would be nice if you posted some screenshot(s), but as I think I can trust you (you definitely don't look like the typical asshole posting shitty games), I'll test this game.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:30:56 pm by Benxamix2 »

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 01:33:00 pm »

I'll add a screenshot.

EDIT: Woah, I'm too lazy to do that whole image upload and embed stuff right now. Maybe someone else could do that. Maybe tomorrow I'll add a screenshot. For now you just have to trust me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:35:40 pm by Reply Code: Alpha »

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:23:55 pm »

It's very unlikely anyone is gonna play unless you get screenshots up. I hardly expect much out of a game where the creator can't even be bothered to print screen two game images and include them in a post.

Siwisby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 02:25:38 pm »

You should slow down with the spikes and triggers. I understand you want this game to be hard, but they just make you angry and want to quit the game if you put a lot of them.
I like the 1st stage's music btw. What's it's name?
In fact, it would be easier if you made a text file saying the name of all the songs. But right now, putting up some screenshots is at the top of the list. It's work that has to be done.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:45:45 pm by Siwisby »

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 02:45:16 pm »

Music is fine for the beginning.

But... This isn't a good start. You should make it easier. Reduce your triggers or spikes, because it's too hard for the beginning.
At least you could make a tutorial.

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 03:25:29 pm »

It's just engine tiles, spikes, delicious fruit & triggers. Seriously?

EDIT: Too everyone saying this is hard, we are playing the same room right? The black one? If so it's not hard at all, seriously.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:32:14 pm by DRD »

Benxamix2

• INACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 03:41:56 pm »

I'm not saying it's hard because it's hard. It's just, to be the beginning of the game, hard. Like you already start with a bullet hell in a boss fight, without making some little for the player to expect some attack.

I can pass that in about 5-10 minutes from my skill level, though I don't want to. I don't see it as something funny to deal with. Specially when I died 15 times in the first screen in less than 2 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:45:11 pm by Benxamix2 »

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 03:46:52 pm »

Sorry, but I'm drunk right now, I'm gonna answer your critics anyway. At first, thank you for testing my game. If you think (as I read) my game is too hard I'll only say that espcacially the first 6 screens are pretty easy to me. Maybe you just didn't play enough japanese fangames to begin with. So you just should not play my game.
Also the music:
Stage 1: Death Note OST - Death Note
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNxrN56FuBI
Stage 2: Dexter OST - Hide Your Tears
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekeBs9uTu4E
Stage 3: Sad Techno Beat Instrumental Piano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDirOf1qJac

Glad you like the music.

EDIT:
I'm not saying it's hard because it's hard. It's just, to be the beginning of the game, hard. Like you already start with a bullet hell in a boss fight, without making some little for the player to expect some attack.

I can pass that in about 5-10 minutes from my skill level, though I don't want to. I don't see it as something funny to deal with. Specially when I died 15 times in the first screen in less than 2 minutes.
Have you even read my OP? I'm used to VERY hard games. Therefore I'm making a pretty hard game. If you're saying you find it boring, I'm okay with that. But please don't tell me I should make it easier, because I won't maker it easier. People are playing hard fangames all day long, and my game is just the result of those fangames. So if you're telling my it's too hard, then play some easy games and come back when you're ready for what I'm doing. Thank you for your critic anyway.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:06:35 pm by Reply Code: Alpha »

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 03:55:15 pm »

Right two things: One, yeah I agree Ben, for the start of a game this is way too hard. You have to remember people will quit a game if the start is too hard. If you've lured them halfway in and then the difficulty picks up then they'll keep trying because they've already invested time making it that far.

Secondly, it doens't matter if YOU find it easy, you aren't the one playing it.  You can't push other people's criticsm out the way because you don't feel the same way.

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 03:56:16 pm »

A game will always be easier to the creator than it will be to other people. You play through the room a bunch to test it so you naturally are better. Therefore it is wise to make a game a bit easier than what you think it should be at.

Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 04:00:13 pm »

Also the art direction isn't bad. I like the backgorund in the first room & the scrolling one in the second I'll get back to you on the third if I cba to try again later.

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 04:00:56 pm »

A game will always be easier to the creator than it will be to other people. You play through the room a bunch to test it so you naturally are better. Therefore it is wise to make a game a bit easier than what you think it should be at.
I'm aware of that fact. And I also played many games that didn't follow that conecpt. Please understand that I like games that are very hard. I like to try a sequence about one hundred times to finally make it. You just can't say my game is shit, because it is too hard.

EDIT: I'm impressed you just didn't say my game is shit. Maybe my opinion about you was wrong.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:02:52 pm by Reply Code: Alpha »

Valkema

• Anonly Asia O_O
  • The Guy
  • What. I'm busy right now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 04:08:59 pm »

I'm aware of that fact. And I also played many games that didn't follow that conecpt. Please understand that I like games that are very hard. I like to try a sequence about one hundred times to finally make it. You just can't say my game is shit, because it is too hard.

EDIT: I'm impressed you just didn't say my game is shit. Maybe my opinion about you was wrong.
I read your blurb and decided not to play it. I won't say a game is shit if I haven't played it.

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 04:10:43 pm »

I read your blurb and decided not to play it. I won't say a game is shit if I haven't played it.
That's nice, Valkama. Give it a try, bro. It's not as bad as you may expect it to be. I'm sure of that. I know you and I've seen how you were commenting on fangames that are plain bullshit. My game is just hard, but imo it sure is not bad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6