I Wanna Be The Forums!
October 20, 2014, 08:24:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gaiden 1.2 patch released. Click here to download!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Fix My Game: IWBTG Source Code Release  (Read 26075 times)
Kayin
Well.. They're more like giant cherries...
Administrator
The Guy

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2011, 06:54:49 pm »

I am releasing I Wanna Be the Guy's source code right now. I'm not going to make up a fancy license or anything, I'm just going to tell you what is and is not acceptable.

• You may release variants/rom hacks THAT ARE PROPERLY LABELED.
  • You may yank out engines and code and use them freely.
  • You may take credit for any work you do, just exercise good taste. Do not do a few changes to IWBTG and act like it's your own work. If you use and borrow code, just credit me for that -- the rest of the work is clearly yours though.
  • You, as a COMMUNITY, may (and should) try and band together to fix up the main game for a new, bugfixed release.

Some other notes. I have NO IDEA about ANYTHING in the code anymore. It is out of my mind. Don't even bother asking me what something is. I can't even open these files anymore, I no longer use MMF2.

Secondly, some stuff is just NOT going to work in new versions of MMF2. I think the elevator platforms left of spawn are broken and I'm sure plenty  of other things are too. Stuff like that is going to need to be found and fixed and I can't help you. Also keep in mind that I LEARNED MMF2 ON IWBTG. Code is going to be AWFUL and unreadable and almost never commented. If you see a better way to do things, do it.

Thirdly, for said community project, if it so happens, let me set some ground rules.

First, no new content. Maybe negotiable later. Second, selective bug fixes. Of the 'beneficial' bugs I'd like to see fixed, the only one I can think of is using 'Retry' to teleport to the Kid's starting point of a layout. Stuff like riding a Zoomer out of bounds is too cool not to keep. Also tracking down the god damned "can't shoot max number of shots" should be fixed and any left over developer keys outside of the E-N-D and bossrush ones at the title screen should be removed.

Anyways I hope people find this fun and exciting and eventually we can have someone port IWBTG to OSX or something. That'd be super nice for a lot of people. Anyways, here it is. This might not be the NEWEST version, but if it isn't, I'll try and find it later. I got some portable harddrives it might be on.

SOURCE CODE RIGHT HERE BOYS

And just remember, use common sense with what you do with my game. As I have borrowed from others, you may borrow for me.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:01:29 pm by Kayin » Logged
Starz0r

Hatsune Miku

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:10:08 pm »

I am releasing I Wanna Be the Guy's source code right now.

Probably going to make a bugfixed version of this game.

tijit
IWBTG Champion

yatta

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:14:31 pm »

Damnit are you saying you're going to get people to make me have to fight kraidgief legitimately? I'll take fighting mother brain with a GAME OVER overlay anyday.

Also the R to retry bug to skip massive parts of the game makes IWBTG awesome fun to speedrun t_t

I had insomnia before it was cool
Venser
Gloved Modulator
Godmin
The Guy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:16:29 pm »

Kayin, are you saying that if the community gets together to fix bugs, assuming such a project is successful, you will reupload a new version of IWBTG from the communal code?

Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training
Kayin
Administrator
The Guy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:18:03 pm »

Tijit: I am actually willing to negiotate keeping any bugs, so this can be discussed later. And yes Venser, if the community gets together and does a good job, it can become the final version of the game.
Ellipsis
Ellipsis
The Guy

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:22:03 pm »

YES!
This is great!
I love open source things. I'll hopefully get MMF2 and look at this later.
Also, yay maybe more content!
Fred-eye-inc

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 08:26:36 pm »

If all the bugs are sorted out, would you be willing to finish the secret item gun?
Ellipsis
Ellipsis
The Guy

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 08:48:07 pm »

Has the source code always been there?
If I keep entering words after /iwbtg/ will I find other secrets?
Kayin
Administrator
The Guy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 09:49:12 pm »

Haha, no. I also think additional content is unlikely.... but I won't say it's out of the question.
CrispyYoshi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 01:05:50 am »

Funny you post this as I finish the final stages of my IWBT-Construct Engine.

This should help a lot with accuracy, thank you.
Venser
Gloved Modulator
Godmin
The Guy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 01:18:19 am »

Haha, no. I also think additional content is unlikely.... but I won't say it's out of the question.
What about IWBTG: Gaiden? How does that fit into this?

Ybbald: I read that as "deadly venser"
Ybbald: and I was like
Ybbald: "when is venser NOT deadly?"

Arkhanno: We'll have to out-source to the US. I know of a great doctor with lifeguard training that can do anything with a 90% success rate

Evan20k: Sherlock Holmes didn't have 5 arms and 6 penises and lifeguard training
Kayin
Administrator
The Guy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 01:55:22 am »

I already released the construct engine that was pretty accurate! As for Gaiden? Gaiden is not on the horizon right now, though it's still something I want to get to.
Darkylight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 07:23:01 pm »

I'm looking for your engine but I dont understand... various things, why do you use global alterable values without names? xDD, and... You complicate too much with the engine. You made your own version to make the kids move and same for triggers, I dont know the extensed code to do it... xD

Anyway, cool, I think, I only want to see Tongue, I saw much interestant things in your engine.
Valkama
Anonly Asia O_O
The Guy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 07:30:22 pm »

I'm looking for your engine but I dont understand... various things, why do you use global alterable values without names? xDD, and... You complicate too much with the engine. You made your own version to make the kids move and same for triggers, I dont know the extensed code to do it... xD

Anyway, cool, I think, I only want to see Tongue, I saw much interestant things in your engine.
Um you do know this game was made as he learned how to make games right?

dakaarts

Call me Daka. I made "I wanna be the Rockman!" >:3

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 07:38:58 pm »

Um you do know this game was made as he learned how to make games right?
really? woah, he made a masterpiece while he was learning o.o

Click here to download I Wanna be the Rockman - http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/forums/index.php?topic=12485.0

Im 19 years old, Bulgarian. Hablo EspaƱol :3!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: